Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Trip back east: day 1

On Friday, 8/31, at the crack of 3:45, I had the Ru loaded and ready to go. I considered punting and staying one more night, but my feet were itching so I hit the road. I drove up the Moose-Wilson Road sad to be leaving. Thankfully, I had a cooler full of beer, pork, salmon, and salad courtesy of Moe. Yeah, that eased my sorrow.

 Swung it out onto 89. The weather was not altogether encouraging.

This again?!


I drove through a little rain up into Yellowstone, but not too much. I hit hardly any rain the whole way back, actually. Here's Yellowstone Lake, in a spot with some geothermal activity:

 


This road feels just like Acadia, actually--rolling hills and great views of big water.


Fire damage from 1988 I think.


Matchstick forest.
 





 Sylvan Pass: over the top.
 

What's that up ahead?
 

HOLY CRAP A BUFFALO WALKING DOWN THE HIGHWAY!!


Classic Jellystone.
 


Shoshone National Forest ahead. Awesome.






I got gas, then looked at the map. It was 8:30 at this point and I was way short of Bighorn National Forest, my original goal. Instead of driving, and starving (it's a pain to pull out the cooking gear without unpacking everything else) until finding a campsite in Bighorn, I backtracked 10 minutes to a FS designated campground and spent the night there. Definitely the right move, as I wouldn't have wanted to miss the next day's scenery in darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment