Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Rendezvous Mountain summit via bicycle

This morning I rode my bike up JHMR / Rendezvous Mountain. It was a real lungbuster. Only had to walk a handful of segments though, where I just didn't have the power to keep traction on the steepest, loose gravel pitches.

Edit: I forgot to mention the best part--at the summit hut they make waffles for sale. The girl working there was curious about my bike ride up and we were chatting, and she hooked me up with a big waffle with jam and nutella--on the house! Enjoyed it on the deck of the hut talking with a retired german couple who live in the Village now.

 Panoramic from Rendevous Bowl, just a couple hundred feet below the top. Rock Springs out right, Laramie Bowl center-left. Click on image to see bigger, then right-click and select "View Image", and click it, to see at 100% magnification (though file is not full-sized).
EDIT: photosynth link, this one is pretty cool.


Rode right up to the tip top. 7.4 miles, 4150 feet of climbing (10.6 % grade...some sections way more though). Took about 3 hours from the Village.


Rosie doesn't like it when I take pictures of my bike in cool places BUT I DON"T CARE I DO WHAT I WANT!!!  The Grand in the background.


Tramdock.


Looking down on the Bridger Gondola, Snake River, Blacktail Butte.


Panoramic from Laramie Bowl, about 800 feet down the descent.


Under the Sublette chair, Alta Chutes, etc, out right.


Switchback about 2000 feet below the summit. Tramdock visible up there.


Corbett's Couloir, tramdock.


Descent took about 1:15, including stops to cool the brakes and depump my arms, and 15 or 20 minutes of optional singletrack near the bottom of the mountain. A good day's adventure by quarter of 2:00.

1 comment:

  1. This is rather epic. And the bike looks equally epic! Can't imagine that titanesque climb that would leave us mere mortals wheezing for O2. Keep 'em comming you crazy tall beautiful bastard.

    ~E

    ReplyDelete